A lot of people say that playing golf is not a cheap thrill by any means. This is certainly true, as various expenses, ranging from travel to golf course entry fees, can cost quite a lot for players. Probably the most expensive part of this hobby is acquiring clubs. A complete golf club set is priced anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars. However, there are many ways for you to get a full set for playing while on a budget. This guide will help you get golf clubs even when working on a small budget.
1. Ask yourself if you really need to get a set- Most people buy clubs because they need it to further develop their game or to get started. However, not everyone has the requisite commitment or time to actually play on a regular basis. If you’re intending to play or playing on a regular or semi-regular basis, then it makes a lot of sense to purchase your own set. If you’re unsure or you’re only an occasional (as in someone who plays 10 games or less of golf a year) gamer, then going for rentals make more sense for the meanwhile.
2. Evaluate your budget- Ask yourself this question before shopping: how much are you actually willing and able to pay for a set of clubs? Getting high-end clubs can potentially cost thousands of dollars, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a good-performing set on a limited budget. There are a lot of affordable sets that provide adequate performance for their price. There are a number of golf club sets that fit different budgets. It all boils down to actually finding them.
3. Evaluate the state of your game- The first thing you must evaluate is your commitment to the game. If you’re dedicated to actually playing the game of golf, purchasing a set of golf clubs is always a worthy investment. Of course, you got to evaluate your game first before settling for a particular club. If your level of game is on the advanced or professional level, then you stand to benefit a lot from high-grade equipment. However, if you’re a beginner or recreational gamer, a basic set should work more than fine for you.
4. Scout the market- One of the best ways to get the right deal is to scout the market for deals within range of your budget. You can go ahead and look for club sets on sports equipment stores and golf marketplaces. You’ll never know when a particular shop will sell their goodies at a discount, giving you an opportunity to save more money. You can also take a look at the secondhand market. Used clubs in great condition can be had at bargain prices, allowing you to save a ton of money if you play it right.
5. Evaluate the product- You might be seeing a particular brand or model of golf club. It’s possible that you don’t have an idea on how they actually perform on the course. If you know other golfers, you can ask them which golf clubs do they like best. Their inputs will give you an idea on which clubs are great to acquire. You can also use product reviews as a reference. Mostly written by professionals, these reviews give you an accurate idea on how a particular set performs on-field. If a product you’re seeing is often recommended, then chances are it’s a great deal in the making.
6. Make a deal- Once you have evaluated which set is best for your needs, it’s now time to actually make the purchase. Search for a shop that will offer you that club you like at the most affordable price. You can also try out the golf clubs themselves to see how they actually perform in your hands. Take advantage of clubfitting if it’s offered, as it would ensure that you’ll get the set of golf clubs that perfectly fit your swing, body, and level of conditioning.